Monday, September 28, 2009

High and Dry with the Yachtsmen

Check back tomorrow for Magazine Monday. Today is Souvenir Monday and tomorrow will be Magazine Tuesday because I’ve been jamming to the tunes of the Yachtsmen and they are so wonderful I had to share it.

From the early 1960's it's time to get “High and Dry with the Yachtsmen”. Looks like Natures Wonderland at Disneyland! It sure is a fun picture! I like how Ray Gordon (on bass) is looking ahead. Here's some great photos of the gents in action at Disneyland on Major's super blog (link).






Did you know Tommy Walker discovered them?






This Buena Vista Long Playing Microgroove Unbreakable Record has held up well for being almost 50 years old. A black label on a black record makes this scan pretty useless but here it is anyway.






In case you’ve never heard the Yachtsmen (like me) you probably have no idea what they sound like. Here’s the title track “High and Dry”. It’s cool and growing on me quickly.







Track 4 “Erie Canal” is a fun tune that’s supposed to be about sailors working on the Erie Canal but sounds more like a song about getting gin? Maybe I got the wrong track? Oh well, I like it!





If anyone has a strong desire to hear another track, let me know which one and I'll toss it in on the next Bonus Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment