Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Vintage Disneyland Ticket to RIDE - 1955

Today’s post falls under the category “If only” as in: If only I were Thurston Howell, III, I would buy these Vintage 1955 Disneyland Tickets that are on sale right now on eBay (link). But since I’m more like Gilligan, we’ll have to settle for the auction photos. Interestingly, the least valuable “A” Ticket is missing, but you can see one here on my second post back from 2007 (link).





Super rare, these early lettered ticket books were only sold for a few months in late 1955. By 1956 the word “Ride” was forever replaced with “Coupon”. I’ll exchange this ticket for a ride on the Phantom Boats!






The “C” ticket is a true joy to gaze at and the only ticket with all five of Walt’s “Realms”. If you were holding this ticket on a beautiful fall day, a banner day, in 1955 (pretend your name is Marty, I am), what ride would use it on? I’m actually having a hard time deciding, but for some odd reason I want to ride on the top of the Stage Coach and wave to the Indian on a horse.






“All tickets void after December 31, 1956.” Tickets sold in early 1956 said “Good at any time during 1956” on the back. By mid-1956 printing of the expiration on lettered tickets ceased with very few exceptions like this (link) or this (link).






$1.50 seems like one heck of a deal even in 1955 dollars. I understand it may have seemed like a high price for a book of amusement park tickets, but once through the gates you had to know this place was special, or Magic.


No comments:

Post a Comment